I love checking the status of all my Facebook contacts. I do this whenever I’m bored or need a distraction. I can check them on my phone, so proximity to a computer isn’t a requirement. And, since categorizing things is what I do, I’ve noticed some patterns.
Types of Facebook Status
(Note: All examples are completely made up. Any similarity to any of my Facebook buddies is purely coincidental.)
- Cryptic – no one knows what your status means, but it shows off your creative and/or mysterious side. Ex: Rachel is indefatigable.
- TMI – sometimes people don’t need to know what you’re up to. Ex: Rachel is getting drunk and going home with strangers.
- Inside Joke – only a few people know what your status means, everyone else is saying “huh?” Ex: Rachel is missing blue boy, already.
- Meta – you’re breaking down the fourth wall. Ex: Rachel is checking Facebook on the train.
- Mood-based – describes how you’re feeling. Ex: Rachel is bored.
- Activity-based – describes what you’re doing. Ex: Rachel is shopping.
- Location-based – describes where you are. Ex: Rachel is in Washington.
- Health-based – describes your physical or mental state. Ex: Rachel is coughing, again.
These types are not mutually exclusive. Someone’s status can be TMI and Activity-based. But everyone’s status fits into at least one of these categories. Want to know the breakdown of the 65 status updates of my Facebook contacts? Continue reading “My Facebook Status is… Meta”